GRAND JUNCTION, CO - A Clifton family is without a home this evening after their home exploded early yesterday morning. "Crews did find debris about a quarter mile away," said Chief Charles Balke, Clifton Fire Protection District.
No one was hurt during the incident, which occurred just before 2 a.m. when the Clifton Fire Department responded to a house explosion on 550 block of 30 Road.
Officials say the explosion could have been caused by a gas leak around the meter but an investigation is taking place to find the exact cause.
It is unknown if there were any fires involved. Upon the arrival of the Fire Deportment the entire house on the property was destroyed. The owner of the property tell us he was in the garage when the incident happened and he has no injuries. As for the people who live in the house were in Denver when the explosion occurred.
Xcel Energy Company has assessed the area and they say they didn't find any issue that would have caused the blast on their end.
"We don't know what led to the house explosion at this point and time that is still being investigated but the gas leak the gas leak that had been referred to earlier was due to the actual house explosion displacing the meter causing a gas leak at that time. We are not indicating that there was a prior gas leak that caused the house explosion," said Balke.
Officials say they did receive reports regarding a gas smell around the are before the explosion but no calls had been made to 911. Fire crews also say the gas leak did not affect any other homes within the neighborhood.
The family wants to thank the community after the incident they say the outpouring of support has been overwhelming. If you'd like to help them replace what's been lost donations are being accepted at the Calvary Chapel Church in Grand Junction located on 492 Morning Glory Ln. Grand Junction, CO 970-243-2579. They will be accepting donations Sunday 11 a.m.- 1 p.m. and Monday through Thursday 10 a.m.- 5 p.m.