GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. - A new online craze is sweeping the nation. Teens record themselves biting into Tide laundry detergent pods and then they post their experience online.
"It's like on the internet now. There's some video of some guy dabbing it, smoking it, and I feel like after that video that's when it became really popular," said one Grand Junction High School student.
Dozens of videos of people participating in the Tide Pod Challenge are uploaded on YouTube --eating it and inhaling it.
A second Grand Junction High School Student added, "They're saying that they should make an edible version of tide pods cause it looks so yummy and then someone put a video of them on Instagram."
Teens are now partaking in the viral phenomenon and putting themselves in danger causing Tide Pod itself to come out with a public service announcement warning consumers to use it for laundry detergent only.
"You're GI Tract, your mouth, down in your stomach lining, your intestine, those kind of things aren't really made for these kind of enzymes," explained Board Certified Family Physician Robert Boyer.
The pods contain chemicals like ethanol and hydrogen peroxide which pose dangerous health risks and life-threatening side effects.
"Seizures which are serious, rapid drops of blood pressure, those kind of things."
It's not only biting it that can be lethal but inhaling it too can be just as bad.
"If you inhale any part of that substance it can cause what's aspiration pneumonitis. It chemically irritates your lungs and large airways that feed your lungs."
Even though the Grand Valley has not seen any cases of someone being affected by this challenge, the American Association of Poison Control has reported 39 cases in the first 15 days of 2018.
"It's something on a whim. That part of a fad can have long-term consequences, but there's a lot of other ways to experience the joys of life."
If you know of anyone who ingest the Tide Pods can call the Poison Control Center hotline at 1-800-222-1222.