GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. (KREX) — As kids are heading back to the classroom, School District 51’s summer meal program, the Lunch Lizard, is wrapping up another successful year. This month’s D51 Golden Apple winner, Nutrition Services Manager Kim Torbic, makes sure no child in Mesa County goes hungry.

Kim started working for D51 back in 2016, when the Lunch Lizard was still a very new program. Right away, she recognized the gap in childhood hunger and nutritional needs the program was helping to fill. She told us, “When I first started I jumped right into Lunch Lizard, had no idea what it was about, but learned very quickly. It’s great to go out into the community and see some of these kids that might not have a hot meal at all during the day. We’re here to provide that for them, and it’s just so bittersweet.” 

Studies show students who receive good nutrition and have hunger needs met over the summer, return to school ready to learn. This summer, the Lunch Lizard has served over 25,000 meals to hungry kids across the valley. Kim’s just happy to be part of it. “I love this program. This program definitely has a piece of my heart. I’m very honored, and I love what I do. I love getting out here with these guys and seeing all the kids.”

Thank you Kim for your hard work making sure kids have good food to eat year round, and congratulations for winning a Golden Apple Award!