GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. (KREX) — Math, science, reading, writing, and social studies. There’s a lot to learn in the 4th grade. Our January D51 Golden Apple Winner, Saprina Tiede at Dos Rios Elementary, makes sure the students in her class master all the subjects.

Mrs. Tiede loves teaching the 4th grade because the kids are at an age where they’re excited about learning, and they’re figuring out who they are, and what they’re good at. Mrs. Tiede said, “I think they start finding themselves, figuring out who they are, and what they like, and maybe what their struggle is. I think it’s kind of neat because 4th graders… these guys are able to tell you what they’re good at, and what they’re working on, and they can also tell you how they’re going to get better at that.” 

Before deciding on teaching, Mrs. Tiede explored the idea of a career in business, but at the end of the day, she knew she wanted to make a difference in the lives of children. She told us “My parents tell this story, that when I was one or two years old they got me this little desk, and I played teacher ever since. I knew that I wanted kids in my life, and I wanted to make a difference in their lives.” 

Thank you Mrs. Tiede for being an outstanding educator, and congratulations for winning a Golden Apple award.