GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. (KREX) — It’s July, and that means there’s some big and exciting news for School District 51. Dr. Brian Hill is officially the new superintendent, so of course, he’s this month’s Golden Apple winner.

Dr. Hill was hired by School District 51 in 2019 to serve as the assistant superintendent. He’s got more than a decade of experience working in education, staring his career as a 4th grade teacher in Austin, Texas. He told us he never expected to find himself in this role, saying, “It was my principal at the time that told me I needed to be a principal, and then when I was a principal it was my superintendent at the time that said you need to go back to school and get your doctorate and be a superintendent. I never thought I’d be in this position to be honest with you, I just wanted to have a big impact on students.”

Despite the role Dr. Hill has worked in, his goals have always been the same – to make an impact on students. Looking into the next school year he’s excited for what’s to come. He told us, “I’m really excited the fact that we have a strategic plan that was adopted by the board, we have a vision for the next three years. And then also, I’m just really excited about the bond passing and having a brand new Grand Junction High School in a few years. It’s a good time to be in D51.”

It is a good time to be in D51. Thank you, Dr. Hill for you commitment to the district, and congratulations for winning a KREX Golden Apple award.