Senior Engagement Project delivers Valentines to local seniors

Local Events

GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. — Grand Junction Mutual Aid’s “Senior Engagement Project” will deliver Valentine’s gifts to several long term care facilities where seniors have been isolated during the COVID-19 pandemic. Gift delivery for the Larchwood Inn will occur on February 5 at 11:00am at
2845 N 15th Street.

In December, GJMA Senior Engagement Project volunteers also delivered Christmas
gifts and decorations to 22 local long term care facilities, brightening the holiday season
for more than 2100 seniors, plus their care staff. At some facilities the volunteers also
sang Christmas carols and greeted the residents from the sidewalks outside, socially
distanced.

Brenda Case, who coordinates the overall Senior Engagement Project, says the idea
came from “years of being a full time caregiver for my own mother. I know how lonely
being a patient can be, even in the best of circumstances. 2020 certainly was not the
best of circumstances, so when I saw an opportunity to recruit like-minded people, I
jumped at it.”

The coordinator of the upcoming Larchwood event, Jennifer Watson, explains, “Some
volunteers adopt a facility, some donate supplies. Three teachers had their 2nd and 4th
graders make cards, some volunteers help assemble. All are essential to success.”

WHO: Grand Junction Mutual Aid’s Senior Engagement Project
WHAT: Delivering Valentine’s Gifts to Quarantined Senior Citizens
WHEN: February 5, 2021 at 11:00am
WHERE: Larchwood Inn, 2845 N 15th Street

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss