GRAND JUNCTION, Colo.-
D-51 Athletics is requesting students not gather during the postponed spring athletic calendar. Saturday, district athletic director Paul Cain, received several texts and e-mails showing student athletes holding student-run practices. The department is now requesting:
* Do not make plans to organize your teams.
* Do not run team conditioning or workouts.
* Do not organize group gatherings (like team dinners).
* Athletes can have INDIVIDUAL conditioning and fundamental workouts. (Please do not do this in a public place).
CHSSA, the governing body of Colorado high school sports, has also released a set of directives for teams and coaches:
- Coaches can contact student-participants by email, phone and social media regarding voluntary self- workouts, updates, etc.
- No physical contact, open-gyms, weight-lifting, off-site workouts with school coaches including volunteers, no-in season coach supervision of athletes on school grounds,
- Sunday contact is applicable as are all eligibility rules.
- No E-sports pilot gaming will be conducted during the moratorium even from home sites as representatives of a school team.
An announcement from CHSSA regarding the delayed Spring seasons is expected sometime before the April 6th (tentative) re-start date.