Apartment fire caused by grill displaces 12 residents, including children

News

CLIFTON, Colo. (KREX) – The call came shortly before 7pm at the 500 block of Pauline Street. The Clifton Fire Protection District and Mesa County Sheriff’s Office responded to the apartment building fire caused by a grill, including a porch fully involved in exterior flames.

Before the arrival of first responders, multiple people attempted to put out the fire with a garden hose. One adult male has been transported to the hospital for smoke inhalation after helping his neighbors evacuate.

6 adults and 6 children are displaced from 3 out of the 4 apartments in the building.

“At this time, we do not have any other injuries all animals have been accounted for this time,” Clifton’s Fire Chief Charles Balke informs, “The fire is knocked down. We’ll be on scene for quite a while, checking for extension into the attic space and doing a fire investigation.”

Upon arrival, crews did find the front of the building in heavy flames and smoke. Firefighters respond with an engine, a ladder truck, and mutual aid ambulance from Palisade.

KREX will update you with any additional information once available.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss