On Tuesday, the Grand Junction Lion’s Club held it’s 7th Annual Grand Valley Student-Athlete Award Ceremony at the Bookcliff Country Club.
Two student-athletes (one boy, one girl) were selected from their respective coaches from four local high schools in the Valley.
The Lions Club donated $250 to local non-profit organizations that the winners chose.
“With this time of year, these graduating seniors are closing one chapter of their life and starting a new one,” past Lions Club president Ky Oday said.
“We like to be there as they start their new one and learn what it’s like to give back.”
Here’s the list of the winners, where they are going for college, and where they donated:
Central High School
- David Cardenas – Track & Field at Adams State – Warrior Run Club
- Kia Holton – Colorado School of Mines – Roice-Hurst Humane Society
Fruita Monument High School
- Blake Anderson – Golf at Doane University – Caprock Behavioral Services
- Landri Hansen – High Jump at Concordia University (Irvine, CA) – Operation Revamp, Veterans Art Center
Grand Junction High School
- Mackenzie Younker – Basketball at Colorado Mesa – Girls on the Run
- Kade Christensen – Track & Field at Colorado Mesa – Western Colorado Suicide Prevention Foundation
Palisade High School
- Heather McClimans – Army + Online College – Palisade Band
- Jason Bruce – Football at Colorado Mesa – CASA of Mesa County