GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. – Pet owners must pay attention to their animals in the frigid weather. This includes protecting them from a commomn household object that can be toxic to pets. Veterinarians say if dogs ingest an excess amount of ice melt products, the outcome can be deadly. There are “pet-safe” ice melt products on the market, however it is still important to wipe pet’s paws after exposure. Anna Stout of Roice-Hurst Humane Society also suggests buying winter gear for your animal, in the cold weather.