GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. (KREX)- The second Saturday of October is Catholic Outreach’s Christmas for hunger relief. The annual event, Empty Bowls, provides funding for the daily meals served at the soup kitchen, where an average of 270 people come daily for a hot meal.
Empty Bowls is more than a tradition for the non-profit, it’s a reminder that people still need help having food.
“We want people to know that hunger is alive in our valley, hunger is real in our valley, and we have to do the shelf to take care of those who can’t take care of themselves,” Grand Valley Catholic Outreach’s Beverly Lampley asserts.
Empty Bowls has been one of Catholic Outreach’s biggest fundraisers since 1997. A 25-dollar donation this year doesn’t buy a potter’s bowl or give a hearty serving of gourmet soup, what it does do is feed others.
“While the virtual Bowls remain empty again this year, what keeps the initiative for in spirit is a Catholic Outreach passion to address hunger,” Cora Dickey reports.
Empty Bowls is an event that impacts people of all ages. Whether it’s someone’s first empty bowls event or not, they leave understanding why the fundraiser happens, wanting others taken care of.
“I just like coming and being able to have a bowl,” Empty Bowls Participant Olivia shares, “I hope everybody gets some food and so that they’re nourished and blessed.”
Artists are getting bowls prepared now as Catholic Outreach hopes to return to traditional empty bowls in 2022. If you have a ceramic bowl from a previous year, Catholic Outreach wants you to use it before, during, and after October 9.
Tickets for “empty” Empty Bowls 2021 can be purchased online, at Catholic Outreach, and at the following churches:
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints: 676 Long Rifle Road, Grand Junction
- Sacred Heart: 1210 17 1/2 Road, Fruita
- First Congregational Church: 1425 N 5th Street, Grand Junction
- St. Joseph’s Catholic Church: 230 N 3rd Street, Grand Junction
- Immaculate Heart of Mary: 790 26 1/2 Road, Grand Junction
- Shepherd of the Valley Lutheran Church: 3133 F Road, Grand Junction
- American Lutheran Church: 631 26 1/2 Road, Grand Junction
- First United Methodist Church: 522 White Avenue, Grand Junction
- St. Ann’s Palisade: 535 W First Street, Palisade
- First Presbyterian Church: 3940 27 1/2 Road, Grand Junction
- St. Mathew Episcopal Church: 3888 27 1/2 Road, Grand Junction
- Redlands United Methodist Church: 527 Village Way, Grand Junction