GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. (KREX) – A partial closure of the intersection of 1st Street and Grand Avenue in Grand Junction will go into place the afternoon of Tuesday, Dec. 7. The partial closure will allow crews to complete paving on the improvements project and finalize the intersection layout before a planned winter shutdown. The partial closure is anticipated to be in place, 24-7, and will be fully open by Friday, Dec. 17 for a planned winter shutdown. Crews will remove the temporary roundabout that has been in place since earlier this year. The intersection is a popular route for motorists traveling on Colorado Highway 340 to the Redlands neighborhoods, the Colorado National Monument and from those areas back into town. Motorists are encouraged to use Riverside Parkway and North Avenue to avoid the area. The partial closure and recommended detour routes have been coordinated with the City of Grand Junction.
- On Tuesday afternoon, crews with the Colorado Department of Transportation and contractor United Companies will close the west side of the intersection.
- The eastbound CO 340/Broadway right turn lane will remain open to traffic to allow motorists to continue traveling south on I-70B.
- The Rood Avenue traffic signal will be operational and Rood Ave. will be completely open to traffic.
- Access to businesses in the work zone, including Grand Central shopping plaza will remain open.
- For motorists traveling west on Grand Avenue, the right turn lane will continue to be open in order to access northbound I-70B towards Mesa Mall and other popular stores and shops.
- Motorists and shoppers will still be able to easily access the Main Street section of downtown Grand Junction.
- Local side streets around the project area will move slowly due to traffic volumes so please consider using Riverside Parkway and North Avenue to access areas downtown.
Motorists are asked to use Riverside Parkway and North Avenue to access downtown Grand Junction, instead of traveling through the 1st St. and Grand Ave. intersection.