GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. (KREX) – Construction for I-70’s business loop doesn’t just impact the First Street and Grand Avenue intersection. The project area includes streets on highway 340, where businesses have seen a change in customer traffic with alternate routes.
“It can’t be good for business by any means, truthfully, we don’t know,” Inside Story Carpet One Floor and Home’s Dane Baxter discusses, “I mean, you don’t know how it’s affected. Traffic seemed a little bit slow the last two, three weeks, but you can’t put a dollar amount on how many customers decided to go somewhere else versus decided to come here.”
Crews are closer to paving the way for new lanes. To continue the turnaround of the loop’s transformation, the First and Grand intersection will briefly be a roundabout.
“CDOT officials share that the temporary roundabout is scheduled to last until mid-November,” Cora Dickey reports, “The intersection will look different from its current state but designs and construction are going according to plan.”
Phase two of I-70B reconstruction means sign replacement, realigning of the intersection, and adding aides for pedestrians. There’s more work coming down the road, but each task, including the roundabout, benefits I-70 B’s facelift to come.
“It should allow traffic to be more free-flowing,” CDOT Resident Engineer Kaitlyn Clark mentions, “It should balance out each leg of the intersection to be a little bit more in space as opposed to having some of the delays that we experienced.”
The project is meant to improve the 5-way intersection, creating easier access and street connections for all.
Traffic Impacts include:
- An extended closure of North 1st St. will begin between I-70B and Chipeta Ave., access to
businesses on North 1st St. will remain open. The following preferred alternate route for
access to North 1st St. is from North Ave., and a detour will be in place from Gunnison St. to
4th St. back to Grand Ave.
- If you encounter an area of the project where a flagger is directing traffic, please stop and wait for
instructions to cross. Otherwise, existing traffic signals in the area will continue to operate for
crossing at identified cross walks.
- Pedestrians and cyclists are not permitted in “dead lanes” of traffic control. Equipment is operating
in these zones and could come into direct conflict with someone who enters the work zone.
- I-70 B from Mulberry St. to Main St. will continue as one lane in each direction, 24-hours a day/seven days a week.
- Access to the Grand Central shopping center continues to be the southern entrance on the CO 340 side of the shopping center. Business access open and detour signs are posted.
- Commercial Vehicle Access: Due to the radius of the temporary roundabout design, commercial vehicle traffic is limited in passing through the work zone.
- No oversize or permitted loads
- 40 foot length restriction
- 8’6” width restriction
- The preferred alternate route is North Ave. in order to keep CMV and freight traffic on the state highway system. For more information please visit: https://sites.google.com/state.co.us/cotriporgfreight/restrictions-maps