In addition to trick or treating safety, be sure to look for fire hazards when decorating or preparing your homes. According to the National Fire Protection Association decorations are the first thing to ignite in 900 reported home fires each year, and of these cases, 20% of the fires were started by candles.
The Grand Junction Fire Department doesn’t want to be at your house this holiday season so they’re sharing ways to prevent a fire. “Particularly around Halloween we want to make sure that dry decorations like corn or hay are away from any flammable material around your house, we also encourage instead of using real candles to use L.E.D. or battery powered candles in your decorations and that makes it just a little bit safer for you and your family,” said Grand Junction Fire Community Outreach Specialist Ellis Thompson-Ellis. She also said people decorating for the holiday should make sure to keep the exits clear of decorations, so nothing blocks the escape routes.