UPDATE: School in Montrose County Put on Lockdown

Local News
School Security_1519088793503.jpg.jpg

A charter school in the small western Montrose County town of Paradox was put on lockdown this morning after a threat was called in to the San Miguel County Sheriff’s Office.

Parents whose students had not yet arrived at the Paradox Valley School were told to keep their children at home and students who were already on school buses were taken to another location and reunited with their parents. The charter school serves students from pre-school to 12th grade.

On Thursday afternoon, the San Miguel County Sheriff’s Office said that the original threat came from a woman who called and said her relatives were heading to the school to shoot children, but the threat was later dismissed when she told police she got the information from “a personal conversation with God.”

Below are news releases from the San Miguel and Montrose County Sheriff’s Offices:

———————

March 22, 2017 — (Paradox, CO) – A Norwood woman called San Miguel Sheriff’s dispatch this morning stating her relatives were in route to the Paradox school to shoot children.
Upon immediate investigation, the woman told authorities she received the information from “a personal conversation with God,” and the threat was determined NOT to be credible. 

 All students and staff at the school are safe. Montrose County Sheriff’s Office is handling security at the Paradox School.
The woman is being detained and will be evaluated by mental health professionals.

———————-

Montrose, COLO.—The Montrose County Sheriff’s Office is continuing to investigate a threat to the Paradox Valley School in western Montrose County.  The threat was called into the San Miguel County Sheriff’s Office earlier this morning prior to the start of school.  As such, families were contacted and told to keep their children home that had not left for school.  In a measure of extreme caution, the school was immediately placed on lock down with a limited number of students.  Students traveling to school via school bus were sheltered in place at a safe location and being reunited with parents.  The school is closed for the remainder of the day.  At this time, the threat appears unsubstantiated; however the MCSO is continuing to investigate the complaint.  Additional information will be provided as the investigation continues.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.