GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. (KREX) — Burn season is approaching the western slope and the Montrose County Sheriff’s Office has issued some tips to keep in mind before you burn.
- Call dispatch at 970-249-9110
- Do NOT burn on Red Flag days
- Be prepared before beginning a burn with items to help put out the fire e.g. Hose, bucket, steel rake and shovel
- Burn early in the day; winds start in the afternoon, avoid burning then
- Stay with a fire until it is completely out
- Plau a fire lane around the area to be burned if necessary
- Separate large fields into smaller plots to stay in control of the burn.
- Always check the weather; avoid burning in low-humidity conditions
Uncontrolled burns happen every year. While they are almost always accidental, they are also preventable. AN uncontrolled burn that enters another person’s property, even accidentally, can have both civil and criminal penalties. I am asking for the public’s help- please call into dispatch when you burn. This phone call is key as it helps save resources for emergency situations.Sheriff Gene Lillard
Be sure to sign up for Montrose County Emergency alerts and visit the western slope fire information website for more information on regional wildfires and fire restrictions.