PALISADE, Colo- Palisade’s Annual Peach Festival is about a month away and organizers are putting together the finishing touches for the weekend’s events. After a light harvest of events last year, things are coming together for a fruitful weekend of activities, including the Just Peachy 5K race.
The Greater Grand Junction Sports Commission is unveiling the final design of the scenic, family-friendly course for the run.
“We’re gonna be starting it at Peach Bowl Park,” Jaden Krueger informs, “We’re gonna be running through downtown Palisade and Main Street, passing all the awesome businesses down there, and then we’ll be coming up towards Riverbend Park, down past Taylor Elementary, and then looping right here.”
“This year’s Palisade Peach Festival is packed with juicy festivities for the family, from a fun-filled 5K that starts off the festival to a buffet of creative peach treats,” Cora Dickey reports.
Other popular events put the Palisade peach front and center, providing chef secrets on cooking with peaches. Matt Tezak is a frequent participant, and knows some tricks to use peaches for more than drinks and desserts.
“When you’re doing a lot of different sauces, you’re adding sugars and other ingredients to it,” Matt Tezak educates, “With the peaches here in the Grand Valley, they’re just so flavorful that you don’t have to add anything to them.”
He’s ready to kick things up this year.
“So last year, I did a honey-smoked salmon taco with a peach slaw,” Matt Tezak recalls, “This year, I knew I needed to step my game up, so I really wanted to go sweet and spicy.”
Waiting a month for the festival might be the pits, but come August, there will be four fun-filled days to make the peach festival experience as sweet as pie.
A bonus in the basket on top of prizes and peaches is that every entry in the 5K comes with a ticket to the entire Peach Festival.
- WHEN: Saturday, August 21st at 9:00am
- WHERE: Start at Peach Bowl Park, run through Downtown Palisade, by the Colorado River, and finish in Riverbend Park. All locations are located in Palisade, Colorado.
- HOW MUCH: 5K is only $25 ($35 the week of the event and on event day) and kids 1K is free.
- 5K: t-shirt, medal, free weekend pass into the Palisade Peach Festival (value of $15)!
- 1K: small participation award
- COSTUME CONTEST: (Encouraging people to run in their favorite and wackiest costumes!) Three (3) people will win a $100 gift card to No Coast Sushi. Costumes will be judged based on creativity, funny, and just over all a great costume!
- CORPORATE DIVISION: (Encouraging all businesses, organizations, and/or groups to register as a team.) The team with the most registered participants will win a fun group activity at one of our local wineries in Palisade.
- OVERALL: (The top three overall fastest runners in both male and female categories.) Overall winners will be awarded cash prizes! 1st=$500, 2nd=$250, 3rd=$100.
- AGE GROUP: (The fastest male and female runner in each of the 6 age groups.) Runners will be awarded engraved plaques.
Walkers are encouraged to participant as well, not just runners! This is an event that is very beginner friendly as well as competitive for those chasing after the cash prizes.
MCB Broadcasting will be providing music on the course for runners to enjoy while racing! The CMU Rodeo Team will be at the finish line with baby goats for people to pet and take photos with.
At the post-race party, we’ll have music, raffles, giveaways, vendors, award ceremonies, and so much more!
If someone is interested in being a volunteer or sponsor, please email email@example.com. Volunteers will receive goodies as a thank you for their time! Greater Grand Junction Sports Commission makes the Just Peachy 5K happen with Grand Valley Primary Care Community Hospital as a presenting sponsor.