GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. (KREX)- Bowling is one of the Special Olympics Colorado’s most popular competition events. This year will feature over 150 competitors across the Western Slope (Grand Junction, Delta, Montrose, Glenwood, and Aspen).
10 teams striking pins at Orchard Mesa Lanes requires hands everywhere beyond the lanes. Volunteers are needed for assisting athletes as they arrive and during each frame of the tournament.
“It’s good to have volunteers at every event of Special Olympics,” Special Olympian Cassandra Saterlund expresses, “They help you through stuff, guide you, and I think volunteers do a good job helping little kids.”
“We need volunteers to help with the lanes so that the athletes know when to bowl, they are encouraged, and also help award them at the end,” Special Olympics Colorado Regional Manager Michelle Pewters describes, “It’s a very important part of the entire experience for them.”
Volunteer registration is available online and at the door. KREX 5 and FOX 4’s Cora Dickey will be among the volunteers for the event.
Everyone wanting to volunteer needs to be at Orchard Mesa Lanes at noon on September 25. Shifts will go 12-6pm Saturday.
Masks are needing to be worn by athletes and volunteers at all times.
Special Olympics Colorado ask volunteers to remain flexible with the roles they are assigned. Roles are designated and fulfilled based on immediate need.
PARKING: Free general parking is available.
WHAT TO WEAR/BRING:
- comfortable clothes
- closed toed shoes (no sandals)
- water bottle to stay hydrated
VOLUNTEER SERVICE HOURS: For those needing confirmation of service hours, at the completion of your volunteer shift you may email Jenny Montoya, email@example.com.
AGE ELIGIBILITY FOR VOLUNTEERS:
- 16 years and older can volunteer by themselves.
- 8-15 year olds must be accompanied by parent, guardian, or chaperone.
- 7 years and younger are not given volunteer assignments, but are welcomed and encouraged to be cheerleaders as long as they are accompanied by a parent, guardian, or chaperone. Please do not ‘purchase’ a ticket for this position.
- 8-15 year olds in a group situation need a 3 to 1 ratio-meaning one adult (18 years old or older) for every three children. These groups usually include scout troops, school classes, church groups, etc.
QUESTIONS? Contact Jenny Montoya, Volunteer Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org