GRAND JUNCTION– GMUG Fire and Fuels Crews plan to begin prescribed burning operations in the Calamity Basin Project Area as early as October 7, or as conditions allow.
- Located ten miles east of Gateway, CO.
- Approximately 400 acres are planned for treatment, with one to two days of ignition, weather dependent.
- Caution is advised as smoke will likely be visible near CO Hwy 141 and National Forest System Road (NFSR) #402 (Divide Road), NFSR #404 (Uranium Road) & NFSR #405 (Niche Road).
- Smoke may impact Gateway & Unaweep canyon area residents.
- The purpose for this burn is to increase the resiliency and reproduction of native ponderosa pine stands, increase wildlife forage and reduce slash from mechanical treatments.
- Prescribed burn project areas will be patrolled and monitored for several days following ignition.