GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. (KREX) — Stage 1 fire restrictions are set to begin in Mesa County and Garfield County on Friday, July 21.
Here’s what stage 1 fire restrictions prohibit:
- Personal use of fireworks
- Campfires outside of designated fire pits or fire rings
- Agricultural open burning without a sheriff’s issued burn permit
- Use of explosive targets
- Smoking outside near combustible materials
- Operating chainsaws without spark-arresting device
- Welding or operating acetylene or another torch with open flame except in cleared areas of at least 10 feet in diameter and in possession of an unexpired chemical pressurized fire extinguisher
We don’t make this decision without thoughtful consideration. We look at the data, the potential for significant wildfires and balance it with the impacts to our community. I’m concerned with the level of fire danger that we are seeing,one spark could quickly spread into a dangerous wildlife threatening lives, property and natural resources.Mesa County Sheriff Todd Rowell
Neither county has proposed an end date for the fire restrictions.
Understanding and following the guidelines of fire restrictions is just a way of life out here. It’s up to each and every one of us to follow this guidance to protect ourselves and our community by not allowing fires to start in the first placeGrand Junction Fire Chief Ken Watkins
Click here to view the interactive Mesa County fire restrictions map.